Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The Game Says: I love Marijuana but I Hate 50 Cent



You didn't think we would let you down on 420, did you brah? Today I woke up, got totally ripped off my thirteen-footer, went to work, quit my job, ate a pot brownie, rode a cheetah, played video games, ate a pot brownie, watched Aqua Teen and wrote this post.

420 has become both pop culture phenomenom and serious market draw. Companies have been birthed around the name of this "High Holiday" (not clever) - 420 Sweetwater Brewery in Atlanta to name one - and it is not a joke that local pizza places and late-night eateries prepare for this long day of awkward phone calls for take-out and people asking the delivery guy if he wants to get high.

Why 420 though? Why the fuck 420, huh? Do we need an excuse to get high? Probably not. But it is a good chance to test our THC intake limits, of which I have none. I did some research on the holiday.

Some say "420" is the penal code number for possession.

Others say that there are 420 chemicals in pot.

This guy who sold me weed said that when the Grateful Dead went on tour they always stayed in room 420. He is an idiot, but his weed is fantastic.

Ready for the truth? Ready to pass out? The phrase's genesis dates back to a crew of stony-pony high-schoolers who in 1971 needed some sly drug lingo to let each other know they liked pot. "420 Louis" they would call to each other, indicating the time they were going to smoke, as well as the location - the Louis Pasteur statue. The crew - known as the Waldos - smoked so much pot and went to so many Dead shows that their phrase soon became the most successful drug meme in the history of smoking weed.

The Waldos still obviously smoke weed because their website is fucking retarded and they think they are still cool because people still like drugs. But they still deserve props for making pot a holiday. To this I submit my own entry into the pop-drug lexicon: Smokealologylyst - a person who talks about weed too much.

UPDATE: HeadyGooBallas let me know what your plans are for today in the comments.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Sonoma, we are having a hash bash and Kirk Funk is playing

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me and my girlfriend made pot brownies and definitely think my dog ate one.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought 420 was a day to celebrate mixing coke and xanax. I think I am in trouble. Call an ambulance. No wait, I am fine, call my dealer.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today is not only 420, but also the day that pre-frosh's from across the country come and visit my campus...it is the double bonus, weed and high school girls

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo they call it 420 cause that is the day bob marley died

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory Add Your Blog